Understanding Modern American Teen Slang
By Angela Pichon
Teens may seem to speak a different language. Find out what they are saying.
Most parents want to be able to communicate with their teens. Communication can be nearly impossible when the parent has no idea what her teenager is saying. This article lists some popular slang terms teens and young adults use. This article is to inform and it is not advised that parents actually use this slang as doing so could further keep the teen from talking. Use this article as a tool to decode a teen's seemingly cryptic speech.
Teen Talk A-F Parents may be baffled when their teens talk about "apple bottom" and "cheese". Check out what these really means.
- Apple Bottom – A girl with an attractively big, round butt.
- Blunt – A cigar hollowed out and filled with marijuana
- Badonkadonk – An expression for an extremely curvacious female behind.
- Brown out – To forget something until it is later mentioned due to drinking. Less intense than blacking out.
- Baked – High on Marijuana
- Cheese – Slang term for money.
- Creeper – A person who does weird things.
- Cake – Slang for a large amount of Cocaine. Also slang for money.
- Dime – A very attractive person. Also slang for 10 dollars worth of any drug.
- Emo – Emotional often used as an insult.
- E – Shortened form of Ecstasy
- Fag – A slang term for a homosexual male. Also used as an insult to someone thought to be stupid.
- Frontin – To put up a facade.
- G – A gangster. A thousand dollars. A term of endearment.
- Hater – A person that cannot be happy for another person's success so they make a habit of pointing out flaws.
- Holla – A phrase used to acknowledge the presence of a friend. A guy showing interest in a girl. To call on the phone.
- Holla Back Girl – A girl willing to treated like a doormat by guys.
- Jacked – Slang for Stolen.
- Juice – Respect and credibility on the street.
- Juggalo – A fan of the band Insane Clown Posse or other bands on the same label.
- Kicks – Slang term for shoes.
- Keep it real – To be yourself.
- LOL – Laugh out loud. Used most often when instant messaging.
- Money – High quality.
- My bad – Slang for my mistake.
- Off the chain – Very cool
- Owned – To be made a fool of.
- OMG – Oh my God.
- Prep – A teen that conforms to typical teen behavior.
- Props – Proper respect
- ROFL – Rolling on the floor laughing.
- Sick – Cool
- Swag – Appearance or style.
- Sexting – Sexually explicit text messaging.
- Tool – A cretin.
- Tramp stamp – A tattoo above a woman's behind.
- Trippin – To overreact.
- Trolling – Purposefully being antagonistic on the internet.
- Uber – The ultimate
- User – A person who uses a friend.
- V card – Virginity
- WoW – Acronym for World of Warcraft.